Welcome to the Funamals Blog


Welcome to the Funamals Blog
Funamals is a company that represents the whimsical artwork of Amy DeCaussin.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Felted Fun

I really love felt...I always have.  When you're a kid, felt is always a great material to work with in textile. It holds very basic qualities that keeps crafting simple.  It is stiff and doesn't fray, making it ideal for beginners of all ages and comes in all different colors.  Here are some great works made from felt that I found on etsy.

Spincushions

Blue and Red Flower Felt Pincushion
Pincushion Boronia Flowers in Fuchsia Pink



Red Flowers with Green Leaves

Shelley, of Victoria, Australia is the artist behind Spincushions.  She really hits the spot for bright colorful felty fun products!  Her delightful little pincushions are fantastic.  They are all hand sewn with embroidery floss.  You can follow her with her blog, facebook and twitter.

MadeinLowell

Pumpkin Vanilla Pincushion Ring
At first glance, I found this pincushion ring by Liz of MadeinLowell cute and convenient for an avid sewer.  Upon further inspection I learned that Liz is very established at her craft, even being featured on Martha Stewart!!  Really though, my favorite thing about Liz is her Profile in her etsy shop.  It is so personable, bubbly and fun.  You really feel like you are getting to know a nice little snippet of the essence of the artist.  I feel instantly connected to her and if we lived in the same area, I'm sure we would be going out for coffee together and probably having really good conversations!

LoftFullofGoodies

Wool Felt Coin Purse Wallet....Hi
Sweet Blossoms-Made-to-order-Wool Felt Coin Purse


Natta of Ireland has a beautiful collection of felted goodies in her store LoftFullofGoodies.  What I love most are these little coin purses with just the right amount of embroidery on them.  I love embroidery because it gives textiles a satisfying texture.  I especially enjoy the "Hi" in red.  You can follow Natta on her blog.

Fairyfolk

Needle Felted Robbins Egg Nest
Robbins Nest Ring

Peas in a Pod

Yellow Peas Christmas Ornament


Felted Woodland Toadstools

Inspired by nature, and very inspiring, Fairyfolk by Donni has a variety of ways that she has applied felt to different ideas.  Originally from South Africa, Donni now lives in California, USA and credits her experiences in different places and being surrounded by nature as her key inspiration.  I find this so inspiring.  Work that stems from nature is very fulfilling to me, as much of mine comes from this source as well.  Donni is not afraid to create little treasures to decorated your house with and enjoy them as they are, simple needle felted sculptures.  Her shop has a dynamic quality by taking those ideas and twisting them into a piece that has a purpose.  The two examples shown above are the Robbin's Egg which she then has as a ring and the Pea pods, which she then lists as a Christmas ornament.  Fantastic and fun work!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring my pincushions :)

    So happy to be included with my good friend Natta of LoftFullofGoodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are friends? That's really cool! Small world...smaller etsy world ;)

    It was my pleasure. I really enjoy writing about other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for including me in this lovely collection! And for your kind words, I really appreciate it :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love felt, I work with it all day and it's always so inspiring to see what others are doing- thanks for the post! Jennifer @ www.linaloos.com

    ReplyDelete